Sunday, October 21, 2012

My Horror Video game Recommendations

OK so Halloween is coming up and what better way to celebrate it than to play some creepy videogames? Here are some horror-themed video games that you might want to check out.

1. Silent Hill 3 (PS2, PC) - My favorite Silent Hill game, it's a sequel to the first one where you play as Heather a grown woman venturing into the evil town of Silent Hill. It's basically one of the last really good survival horror games, in my opinion, and because it's a survival horror game it has those tank-like controls. It also has a few bonuses in the game depending on how you beat it (with 3 different endings), and it also has some awesome places you go, like the Amusement Park, and Robbie the Rabbit making this my favorite Silent Hill game. Also this game is out in the Silent Hill HD "Collection" but I advise against getting that since I hear that it has a ton of bugs, different voice actors, really dumb changes, and the people who made the "collection" already stated that they will not patch/fix the Xbox 360 version.


2. Illbleed  (Dreamcast) - Possibly my favorite Dreamcast game. It's basically a haunted house simulator where you go through different levels that have different stories, but the main story in the game is that the   . There are multiple endings (with 4 different end bosses and you choose to fight one of them), and quite a few different places you go to, from a real haunted house to a mall. It also has decent controls (they're not great but the game is still playable!), a really unique health system and gameplay (you have 3 different meters, one for how much blood you've lost, one for how scared you are, and one is your general health, the main way you get injured is through traps that either scare you, make you bleed, hurt you, or a combo of all 3 but you can detect the traps to avoid getting injured it's very unique and there's no other game like it!), it also has some amazing dialogue, and by that I mean very hilariously bad dialogue and voice acting, it's pure B-Horror-movie fun! Sadly it was one of the last games on the Dreamcast and got overlooked by a lot of people, it's also getting rather expensive now, I got my copy (complete with everything) for about $25, and now the price for a complete version is in the high $30's.


3. Lone Survivor (PC) - Don't let the 2D retro graphics fool you, this game can get really creepy. Actually this game is probably the scariest game to come out in a long time (with Silent Hill and Resident Evil dropping their survival horror elements and becoming action games) I love Lone Survivor because it shows that you don't have to have flashy graphics to be scary, you just have to have a creepy soundtrack, scary sounds and a haunting atmosphere.


4. Obscure (PS2/Xbox/PC) - Want to play a survival horror game with a friend? Here you go. I think this is the only survival horror game to actually include co-op besides it's sequel (Obscure: The Aftermath). I know Resident Evil 5 has co-op but it is not a survival horror game, at most it's action horror. Anyway, the story for this game is that something is happening at your high school and you're locked inside the school when looking for your friend (idk what kind of high school it is since it's gigantic, but I wish I went there instead of my high school, well you know without all the creepy monsters and stuff lol) You have many different characters to chose from, it includes co-op, there are a few extras, it's like a teenage B-horror-movie (think the movie The Faculty). Sadly this can also be a little pricey (the PS2 Version I have is now $27 - $37

5. Fatal Frame series (PS2/Xbox) - The scariest games I've played, you use a camera to kill the enemies (ghosts) and you do more damage the closer they are when you take the picture. It's really scary when you have to wait just until they are right up in your face about to hurt you.

6. Vampire: The Masquarade - Bloodlines (PC) - OK, so I know this isn't really a creepy game, but I absolutely love it and it is a good game to play for Halloween. I haven't played a whole lot of this game (like only 21 hours worth lol) so I don't know the whole story but it seems like you got turned into a vampire and now you have to do all these quests for them.... in case you were wondering, yes this is an Action RPG game and it is so much fun. You can customize your character (sadly the only real customizations are the name and type of vampire, I don't think you can't change the face :( ), and you can do a lot of side missions if you want to (I always do, it makes the game more fun that way). The only huge downside about this game is that it has tons of glitches (you can find a patch online though so it's not that bad) and it seems to have a hard time running on steam.


Other games to check out that I haven't played all that much so I can't comment on them:
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Amnesia the Dark Descent
Blood


Well that's about it, I think I'm also going to stop posting on the weekends since I know this upcoming weekend will be a little crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment